Holtan House Adult Family Home (1) was completed and opened in 2014 to meet the domestic, social, recreational, economic, and health issues of persons with developmental disabilities, traumatic brain injury, and/or physical disabilities, in the Western Wisconsin region. Persons with multiple disabilities are also encouraged to apply for residence. Holtan House is owned and operated by ORC Industries, Inc., a La Crosse, Wisconsin-based nonprofit agency that has been serving persons with severe disabilities since 1966. The houses are named for the late H. James (Jim) Holtan, the founder and first president of ORC Industries. Jim Holtan made it his life’s mission to advance the independence and self-sufficiency of persons with disabilities, initially through the provision of work opportunities. Holtan House continues Jim’s legacy, expanding his vision into residential services, and providing the opportunity for care and services in a comfortable home setting. Each resident is encouraged to move toward functional independence in daily living or continue functioning independently to the greatest extent possible. The mission of Holtan House is endorsed by Jim Holtan’s family. Holtan House Adult Family Home ensures the health, safety, dignity, rights, and well-being of each resident in a barrier-free environment. The home is located in the new Abbey Road Development in north Onalaska, Wisconsin. Unlike many AFHs that are converted from single family residences, Holtan House was designed and built from the ground up to serve the needs of persons with disabilities. The grounds are professionally landscaped and include mature shade trees, lawn, and shrubbery.
- Holtan House is staffed to care for people with cognitive and physical disabilities and their needs.
- We will be licensed for four people with traumatic brain injuries, developmental and/or physical disabilities.
- The house is a four bedroom, two bath home. All bedrooms and one bathroom are fully wheelchair accessible.
- All entrances/exits are zero-grade accessible.
- Services will be provided by the Holtan House trained staff. Staff is available 24/7 during periods of occupancy. Night service is provided by overnight-awake staff. Services focus on empowering each resident to reach his or her maximal level of independence in areas of health, activities of daily living, socialization, recreation, vocation, and quality of life.
- Community resources will be available for each resident to support his or her daily and life goals. The house is located within two miles of several houses of worship and within a half mile of the YMCA and one mile of the Onalaska Omni Center and Onalaska Aquatic Center. Shopping and additional recreational opportunities are plentiful within a five-mile radius. In addition, residents are welcome to use, with supervision, the state-of-the-art Wellness Center located on the ORC Industries La Crosse campus.
There are no plans to use the home for respite care. Transportation will be arranged or provided for residents by Holtan House staff in company-owned and insured vehicles. All staff will undergo the requisite criminal and caregiver background checks. All staff will receive initial and annual training as prescribed by statute. All will be certified in first aid and CPR/AED.
For resident information please call us at 608-783-2059